Preparation set for maki
MAKE AUTHENTIC JAPANESE MAKIS
This pack contains everything you need to prepare your Japanese maki. Makizushi, sometimes called makimono, often simply called maki in Europe, is a Japanese culinary specialty in the form of a roll of dried nori seaweed surrounding white rice mixed with sweet rice vinegar, and stuffed with various foods, especially raw fish or plants. In Japan maki is often served alongside miso soup and sencha green tea. Follow our recipe in 9 steps for 12 makis.
125g uncooked Organic Sushi Rice, 170ml cold water, 2 sheets of algae Nori, ½ cucumber*, ginger, pickled Daikon, 2 tsp Umeboshi Purée (optional), sushi Mat, soya sauce for dipping, japanese Wasabi Paste *Pepper, carrot, avocado, chives or other fillings of your choice can also be used.
Sushi Vinegar Seasoning:
2 tsp Brown Rice Vinegar, 1 tsp Clearspring Mikawa Mirin or Rice Mirin or 1 tbsp Sushi Rice Seasoning can be used instead of both of the above.
1. Wash the rice in a bowl with cold water, handling the grains gently and rinsing frequently until the water runs clear. Soak in 170ml of cold water for 30mins before cooking.
2. Pour the rice and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to rest for a further 10 mins.
3. Using a spatula spread rice gently over the base of a large bowl. Pour the rice seasoning evenly over the rice and make cutting and folding movements with the spatula to mix it well.
4. Place the Sushi Nori with the shiny side down on the mat. Spread ½ of the rice evenly over the nori, leaving 1cm clear at the top.
5. Make a shallow channel 3cm up from the bottom edge, fill with a thin layer of umeboshi puree
and lay on the cucumber, daikon and ginger fillings.
6. Begin rolling the mat from the near edge away from you, keeping the filling in place with your fingers. Roll firmly but do not press so hard that the rice comes out of the sides.
7. Continue rolling until you reach the end of the nori sheet, keeping it tight. Make sure that you do not roll the matt in with your sushi.
8. Remove the roll from the mat and cut into 6 pieces with a wet knife, using a steady sawing motion. Repeat with the other sheet of nori.
9. Serve with a dish of Organic Japanese Tamari Soya Sauce and Organic Japanese Wasabi.
DISCOVER THE CONTENTS OF OUR MAKI PREPARATION SET
High quality organic rice vinegar produced in Japan.View product
Bamboo maki mats.View product